Superbowl Sunday this year happened to fall on February 1st. Those of you who know me can attest to my lack of ardent enthusiasm for football. Yet, I can get super fired up for some games (Cal games and yes, Superbowl games). All I need is fun friends, Alex's homemade hot wings, and good beer.
Alex has an HD projector where we watched the game. He himself was busy at the fryer--making hot wings, thai-lemon wings, barbecue wings, ... shall I go on? His boyfriend Johnny complained that Alex was getting all the spotlight as his own "baked wings" couldn't get turned out fast enough.
...and some other kinds of competition
Interviewing an Arsonist
As part of my job, I get to meet quite few reputable artists, journalists, policymakers. We're compiling a digital archive of interviews of China experts who can explain from their point of view what ca
used China's economic boom. I know my posts have all been about China lately, but you should also cut me some slack being that I work at the Center on U.S.-China Relations and I am inundated in this stuff daily. Anyway. Last month I got to meet Cai GuoQiang, a Chinese artist whose work the Guggenheim Museum recently exhibited. He's known for his use of gunpowder in his art which later led to him experimenting "with explosives on a massive scale such as artistically choreographing fireworks and other pyrotechnics. He's probably most known for being the artistic director for the Beijing 2008 Olympics and the fireworks "controversy."
His paintings (now selling for millions) are truly beautiful and they were displayed all around his art studio on the Lower East Side. Here's an example of some I saw which he created by exploding gunpowder:
Afterwards we all got signed copies of out-of-print stamps that Beijing printed in his honor featuring his artwork.
Really Bad Chinese Food
As part of my job, I get to meet quite few reputable artists, journalists, policymakers. We're compiling a digital archive of interviews of China experts who can explain from their point of view what ca
His paintings (now selling for millions) are truly beautiful and they were displayed all around his art studio on the Lower East Side. Here's an example of some I saw which he created by exploding gunpowder:
Afterwards we all got signed copies of out-of-print stamps that Beijing printed in his honor featuring his artwork. Really Bad Chinese Food
Charlene's friends from the ATL (where there are gangs, she emphasized) were visiting New York and we went to get really bad Chinese food. I say this with emphasis because I was so repelled by the menu selections that I ended up eating pretty much only gai lan (Chinese broccoli). The conversation at dinner was pretty morbid too. Most of it involved shootings and violence and the deteriorating conditions of Atlanta suburbs. Nonetheless, I'm sure they had a great time even if they did have to freeze.

No comments:
Post a Comment