Thursday, June 5, 2008

Done da da

Yes, my cheeks are still swollen and my left jaw is bruised green and blue. But I think it makes me look pretty badass, like I got into a nasty rumble or something. Anyway, wisdom teeth surgery can be a bitch, but considering my graduation week, I think the forced bed rest wasn't all that bad.

Graduation was ridiculous in the very best way. Between Bear's lair, SF outings, losing my keys, 4am beer pong, commencement speech fiascos, and my entire family coming I was hard pressed for decent sleep.
It was so worth it.
My last week in the Bay was the ideal capstone. Here's a few pics:

The Fam walking to my first graduation

The reception after my first graduation

Behind the scenes before the big one at the Greek

Graduation dinner with the Fam + Ebag - posing with our complementary "congrats" ice cream

Thank you so so so much Puma for the photo albums -- To be perfectly honest, I was actively fighting back the water works. Really, that means so much to me and I will haul it with me to the Bayou.

So since graduation...well, there was the Encinitas debauchery with my boys. This included beach, cousins beer pong, fishing, bar-b-queing, downtown san diego, and Encinitas bar hopping. Whew, I was spent come Thursday. But again, SO worth the sleep loss.

Come Friday...it was just me, the oral surgeon, and the anesthesiologist. Bed-ridden for a few days. But now, minus the swelling, I'm recovered. And I even got to revisit all of my favorite Spike Lee films and do much needed Teach for America prep work.

But now that I'm back in the world...

Yesterday my mother and I went to Pasadena to visit my Sis and her husband. I got some much needed "teacher wardrobe" shopping done and dined on some excellent sushi. It was good to see my sis and spend some female family time. In the evening, my friend Justin turned 21 It was just the two of us sitting in front of the beach when clock turned 12. He needed to celebrate, but even though OCD Justin doesn't drink, I still dragged him into the Saloon so we could officially sit at a bar on his 21st birthday. I ordered him two cherry cokes (with extra cherries) and I sipped on my Pacifico. I think he appreciated my effort.

Anyway, big things on the horizons. Mostly consisting of quality family (esp the cousins) time and packing (I leave on Tuesday!). Several events in the next week so expect multiple updates (now that pain killers have subsided...). I'm getting really anxious for New Orleans, it's really crazy to think that I'll be there in less than a week. I miss my Berkeley life a lot and all of my dear friends, but the more I reflect the more I feel solid about leaving Berkeley and venturing out on my own. It's really an odd feeling though, I've never felt more independent and on my own that I do right now. But honestly, it's kind of empowering to know that it's just me responsible for me. I don't know, maybe it's just the meds talking - but I'll keep the ruminations coming.

2 comments:

Puma said...

Glad to see you're alive and well! The albums were from everyone =) and I'm glad you liked it. I can't believe you're leaving Tuesday!!!! Craziness. I, in the meantime have had a running fever of 103 for the past 2 days. I haven't spent this much time in bed since ... I don't know when. I wanna hear all about New Orleans when you get there!

fifi said...

aaaaaaa!!!1 such a wonderful blog spot. It was so great to see those pics and what your've been up to ms. laura! wisdom teeth whooos suck. i got food poisoning...again...and was also near death about the same time you were. god, it would have been so funny to hear us talking on the phone. two people mumbling gribble garble back and forth to eachother.
i am soo soo happy for your voyage. you have so much to offer the world and i am so extremely happy it is getting to see some laura pryor influence!! when is the big date??