Tuesday, April 15, 2008

It's the way...In the the Bay!

So, I'd like to begin by apologizing for all the Teach for America trash-talking I've been dishing for the past few weeks. Yes, in true Zowie style, I've come to yet another realization. Even if I am slightly disgruntled with the rhetoric/administration/diversity issues in TFA, complaining about isn't gonna do shit. Instead, I should be solidifying my own thoughts and beliefs on why I want to teach in New Orleans and what I think is important -- that way, I can share them with the other TFAers to learn the most I can from them and maybe make changes in the things I see as problematic.

The Tipping Point -- Willard track tryouts. Last week's tryout fiasco really sent me to the peak of my epiphany. It's difficult for me to articulate the feeling of walking into Willard and working with the students -- but I can honestly say that it is one of the most fulfilling aspects of my life currently. I always leave Willard in such a good mood and am always looking forward to going back. Track tryouts went so well last week (BIG thanks to Coady and Gabe) and we have our first practice tomorrow. 30 sixth, seventh, and eighth grade boys comprise the Willard Track team and I'm so so so fired up about the season.

Back to my epiphany, I think working at Willard has given me a strong sense of my abilities to work with Middle Schoolers and an understanding of the personal satisfaction I can get from it. Even though I may question certain aspects of TFA, it'd be stupid for me to go into my New Orleans experience with a sour attitude. I know I'll enjoy working at a school and am confident in my desire and abilities to be effective - the Teach for America glass is now half full.

In other news...Sunday I took a walking tour of Oakland for my Environmental Design Class. It was glorious. Here are a few highlights:
Oakland Symbolic Tree -- The fabulous Mei posing oh so elegantly in front of the famous Oakland tree seen on all the logos. It's really quite magnificent (I def. had a Fifi "tree moment")


"Oaksterdam" Gift Shop -- I gawked at this place for a good ten minutes. The web site is worth checking out. I've never seen a marijuana club quite like this one
Souley Vegan -- Oakland's very own Vegan Soul Food! I know, seems a little oxymoronic, but take my word for it, it's real tasty. Mei dined on the "soul food plate" which had exceptionally amazing yams. Gabe ordered the "BBQ Tofu plate" with awesome potato salad and collard greens. I opted for the cornbread and crispy tofu. And let me tell you, I wanted seconds. I think and FPZ stop is needed sometime in the not so distant future.

2 comments:

fifi said...

Hey Ms. Laura, that was a great post! It sounds like your moving in another direction mentally regarding teach for america. It's true that if you see the light in a situation and shine it so brightly others will notice and hopefully take in a lot of your positivity. It sounds like you love teaching that population and I really think you will be such an inspiring force that helps others see why teaching is so worth while!You've got a lot of experience behind your back as well which is good. Its about you and the kids--nothing else.

Oakland looks fun. Ohh I really want to try the Vegan soul food! Haha or just soul food in general. Hmmmmm.... yum yum :)

Puma said...

Uhm. I REALLY want to try that vegan soul food place. And i want to see the Oakland Symbolic tree! care to be tourguide?